Saturday, July 23, 2005

Britcoms

I realized this week that most of my favorite comic book writers are British and tried to figure out why. Grant Morrison, Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman are all somewhere around my age (okay, Moore's an old guy) and we seem to share a common language of music that informs their writing. While all of them are perfectly capable of quoting Shakespeare or Shaw, they're more likely to throw in Clash lyrics. There's a kind of implicit challenge to "get" the references that I gladly accept.

So I got a real kick out of the recent Alan Moore book "Albion" and the episode #1 title:
There's No Future in England's Dreaming
- cute but a little obvious. It was the "next issue" note at the end of the book that actually took me a couple of minutes to place and I leave it to you guys as a challenge - where did
We'd open strange doors that we'd never close again
come from?

2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"She began to wail
Give us a scream
Waiting for the lights
If you know what I mean..."

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

By the way, PC, check out Albion - DC now has the rights to a number of old British comic book characters like Robot Archie and Captain Hurricane and this title is bringing back some of those guys. Should be interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home