Saturday, December 24, 2005

RIP Damien, 1991(?)-2005


I took Damien over to the emergency vet this morning to send him on his way. He'd pretty much stopped eating by yesterday and didn't really have the strength left to walk, although he kept trying until he wore himself out. It just didn't make any sense to make him wait any longer. The people at P.E.T.S. were awesome, as they always are, and gave me some time with him before the IV as well as while it took affect. JS and I appreciate all the virtual hugs and back pats over the last few weeks - it has meant and continues to mean a lot. He was a good pup and a good friend and if there's any justice in the universe he'll be eating piles of Snausages and chasing squirrels to his heart's content now.

Damien was abandoned as a pup and ended up living in a small pack of semi-feral dogs in a little patch of woods near my grandmother's house in Nashville. Each of the dogs seemed to have adopted a different house to mooch from and Damien had picked my grandmother. He was very nervous and very cautious - despite really seeming to want humans around, he wouldn't let any of us get close enough to pet him. However, when my grandmother broke her hip and it was clear that she wasn't going to be coming home (she had also developed Alzheimer's by then), my uncle managed to catch him and drive him up to the TN/NC state line to meet me. We hadn't really decided to keep him, but as often happens it just sort of happened that way.

It took awhile for him to get comfortable with me and way longer until he was comfortable with strangers, but over the last few years he became one of the favorites at the vets and the kennels. He was a sweet, gentle soul and I miss him already.

I don't mean to bum anybody out at Christmas - this is not a bad story! I had thirteen years with him and he had thirteen years that he probably would otherwise not have had as I don't think he would have lasted very long on his own. It's only been a month since he was diagnosed, so he didn't have to suffer with this for very long. There are a lot of ways this could have gone worse so while I'm sad, I'm also happy that he's not hurting any more and that he and we didn't drag this out. Just take a minute to give your critters an extra hug and smooch and thank 'em for bringing such love and joy to your lives!

9 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

Hee! Hobbesy was a good 'un. Thanks for the thoughts and Merry Christmas to you, Ann, V and the Hoopster!

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Marie said...

I'm gonna go give my Harley a hug right now and I'll tell her about Damien. If anyone would understand and listen, my golden retriever, Harley, will.
And Tony, thanks for your kind comments about my photography.
Here's to wishing you all the best...

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Damien and Five are giving each other a mutual butt-sniff right now, Tony. I'm glad he was around to keep you and JS company all these years; I'm absolutely certain he had a better life than he could ever have imagined when he first came to your grandmother's yard.

Have a happy Christmas and give each other lots of extra love.

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very many hugs to the both of you.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Special K said...

It's never a good day when you have to say goodbye to a friend. You are doing good to think of the good times.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damien is probably playing with Cinnamon and Sandy now. I'll be sure to give Congo a big hug tomorrow morning... while I try to hold him back from opening all the gifts! Wow, I guess tomorrow is actually today. I should be in bed! -R

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Cindy Lee said...

I’ve always had a dog. They become loved companions. Both of mine are at my feet at this moment and each has received a pat. I am sorry for your loss but I’m glad you had the 13 good years.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

Many thanks to all of you folks and to those of your critters that are now greeting Damien. Marie, tell Harley that Damien was always jealous of her multiple-tennis-balls-in-the-mouth trick as he never managed more than, well, one at a time. Merry Christmas to all you guys!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger jw said...

Damien can keep company with Jewel and Topaz.

I'm sorry. The hurt will fade in time. And, whoops, wait a minute...

Shit! That was grape juice.

Want a cat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home