Sunday, February 05, 2006

Fear of Music

So I still haven't picked up Talking Heads 77 but I did grab the DualDisk copy of Fear of Music Saturday. It's pretty damn terrific as you might expect. In addition to the remastered CD and the 5.1 mix on the DVD side, the best thing I've heard so far is the alternate take of Life During Wartime which is pretty much the one you're used to except that it has an added Robert Fripp guitar track that's a really nice addition and it doesn't fade out a verse too soon like the original (if you've ever read the lyric sheet, you'll know what I mean - the song fades before Byrne sings the last verse).

I also picked up the X: Live in Los Angeles DVD of an X reunion show from 2004. I haven't had time to see much of it yet, but I have no doubt it will rock hard. Just watching the first couple of tracks put me right back at the Pier in Raleigh 20+ years ago standing two feet in front of Billy Zoom's monitor with his wide guitar god stance, Rutger Hauer hair and the big ass smile he turned on us about once a song. I have never understood why they were not huge stars, but I'm happy to be one of the chosen few who dug everything they ever did. Along with the Clash, they were the best pure rock and roll band of the early 80's. If you came to them late and never had a chance to see them, I'd suggest picking this up - they might be a lot older (ain't we all?) but they've absolutely still got it.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Bobby. said...

You should check out THE BAND Fear of Music! They're awesome!

http://hifipopcorn.blogspot.com/2006/01/if-you-cant-be-scared-of-music-what.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home