Thursday, July 28, 2005

Happy Birthday!

...to our house, which we closed on 7 years ago today. That makes this the address I've had for the longest of any in my life. Not my adult life, mind you - my entire life.

I like this place - a lot. J, on the other hand, has much fonder memories of our first house, in Durham. It may be that this is the only place that we've lived together (except for my apartment in Gaithersburg when we first got together) that started out more mine than hers, by virtue of me working from home while she was going off to work most days the first couple of years we had it. I actually got a head start for once.

It could be bigger. It could have more storage space and less slope in the driveway (so I could put in a basketball goal) and a little more privacy in the yard. I could have done what I said I was going to do after the last house and made sure there were cable and phone jacks in every single room in the house but I didn't (thank goodness for wireless!). But I love the big wide covered front porch and the screened-in porch in the back with the bar and the party lights and I love the way, with J's careful pruning, all the trees are growing in. I really dig my office upstairs separate from everything else so that I can get away from it when I want to. I love the soaring space when you first walk in the front door where the dining room opens up to the second floor.

I don't know how long we'll stay here - almost certainly not another 7 years. But I'm happy here for now and appreciate the 7 years we've had here and however many are yet to come. Happy birthday, house!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home