Thursday, July 21, 2005

Spoiler-free Harry Potter post

Picked up Half-Blood Prince Saturday and finished it yesterday, which implies I've been spending way too much time in the bathroom this week. HP books seem to be the opposite of Star Trek movies - where the even numbered Trek movies were the better ones, I've enjoyed the odd numbered Potter books the most. This is the best of the evens by far. Without giving anything away (and I do refuse to give ANYTHING away) I think it opens up a lot of possibilities for the final book, rather than narrowing the final story down to necessity. That being said, in retrospect a lot of what happened in HBP feels like it HAD to happen, but that doesn't mean you see it all coming (although J will because she always does). I zipped through it so that J could have her turn with it but I'll want to go back and read it again soon to pick up on some of the groundwork that JKR laid for later events (including those in book 7). One of the things she has captured better than almost any author I can recall is kids growing up - I've read a lot of coming of age stuff but the aging of her characters just rings really true. I think you'll enjoy it - just let me know when you're done so I'll know that we can discuss the details!

1 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you know what it's been like for me, after reading 1 - 5!

And it's good for me to know what you've had to endure. I can't log in, read anything or go anywhere without fear of being "spoiled"!

It's awful!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home