Thursday, December 08, 2005

Jonathan Livingston and all his Friends


Took this at the waterfront park in Edenton on the way back from Manteo the Sunday after Thanksgiving. If you've never spent any time there, it's really worth a Saturday afternoon just to poke around and hang out at the park. The main street that runs down to the park seems vital in that small-town NC way - you can catch a movie at the old theater, do a little shopping at the Peebles and spend hours at JennySlash's idea of heaven - an old-timey craft store attached to an old-timey hardware store. There are a couple of interesting-looking restaurants, a collection of some of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen and lots of historical sites. The Barker House on the waterfront has mostly recovered from the damage from Hurricane Isabel a couple of years ago and is open with information on the history of the area (the first permanent settlement in what became North Carolina). There are at least half a dozen B&B's in town, many of which have waterfront views - we haven't checked any of them out yet but undoubtedly will at some point. Check it out!

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read much Richard Bach? Illusions was one of my high school favorites. I don't think I ever read JLS.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

I read JLS not long after it was published, at a time in my life when I was old enough to get something good out of it but too immature to admit it. Haven't read any other Bach. Probably wouldn't be a bad time for me to dust it off...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home