Monday, December 19, 2005

Non-Friday Not-so-Random Ten - Christmas Edition

Sun-60 - Mary Xmess
The Musical Cast of "Toys" Featuring Wendy and Lisa - The Closing of the Year
Beck - The Little Drum Machine Boy
Fishbone - It's a Wonderful Life (Gonna Have a Good Time)
Timbuk 3 - All I Want for Christmas (Is World Peace)
The Pogues with Kirsty McColl - Fairytale of New York
Dave Edmunds - Run, Rudolph, Run
T-Bone Burnett - God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
the dB's - Home for the Holidays

I love me some Christmas! And I love me some Christmas music - religious, secular, pop, jazz, bluegras, you name it. I grew up with the Johnny Mathis Christmas albums on the Magnavox cabinet hi-fi and that blind dude singing Felix Navidad on the radio and the kids from Peanuts with faces upturned "ooo-ing" in front of Snoopy's well-lit doghouse. We have an inordinate number of Christmas CDs, from new wave/punk to jazz to Celtic to New Age to Billboard to comedy (I'd be hard-pressed to tell you whether I like Bob and Doug Mackenzie's version of The Twelve Days of Christmas better than Allen Sherman's - love 'em both). The above list might make you think I only like edgy Christmas stuff, but that's just from my running mix - I'm just as happy with the Chipmunks or "Blue Christmas" or Mel Torme or even Chip Davis.

All of that being said, I absolutely cannot listen to the local radio stations or Music Choice on digital cable and their Christmas programming. When did every soul, rap, R&B, country and boy band/girl diva decide they had to put out some crappy, sappy POS Christmas song and when did radio programmers decide that's all they were going to play? Okay, I know, why should they program any better Christmas music than the music they program the rest of the year, but it drives me up a wall. I really don't need Kenny Chesney's Parrothead rendition of Jingle Bells /* gack! */ or the latest syrupy Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston/Usher/etc. confection. Call me a Scrooge if you like, but I always liked Christmas fudge better than frothy divinity and good Southern boiled custard better than thin egg nog and apparently my musical tastes run the same.

By the way, if you're a damn Yankee and grew up on egg nog and are unfamiliar with the true Christmas tradition of boiled custard, do yourself a favor and make some! It won't likely be as good as Momma's or my Granny's, but I'm betting it'll be fine regardless.

3 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Special K said...

Tony Plutonium? Well, I guess it makes as much sense as Special K. I really don't know why I decided to track you down tonight. Christmas (Oh, this is Curtis Krumel, BTW) gets me thinking about the old days and the folks who were there. Ah, Christmas memories. They are great and they suck, all at the same time.

Anyway, shoot me an email (ckrumel@hotmail.com). Let's compare photos (yours are good) and see what we've been doing with ourselves.

Check out my recent adventures at specialksplace.blogspot.com.

Chao

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

Curtis Krumble! A blast from my high school past! I'll pop you an email tonight.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Cindy Lee said...

Try this web site. It offers music to the taste of the listener and its free. I open it up in a different widow and keep on doing my thing. I often use the desktop as a “radio”

ttp://www.pandora.com/
Discover Music - Pandora

 

Post a Comment

<< Home