Friday, August 18, 2006

Decidedly Non-Random Friday 10

Fight Like a Brave - Red Hot Chili Peppers
4th of July - X
Still in Hollywood - Concrete Blonde
Litany (Life Goes On) - Guadalcanal Diary

What's My Scene? - Hoodoo Gurus
Seattle - Public Image Ltd
I Heard a Rumor - Bananarama
Understanding Jane - Icicle Works
Under the Milky Way - The Church
Crash - The Primitives

...and because sometimes you just need that little bit extra, my list goes to 11...

Waiting for the Great Leap Forward - Billy Bragg

Not random - this was the second half of Rhino's Modern Rock 1987: Hang the DJ and the first couple of cuts of the next one. Hell of a playlist for the drive home, which after two weeks I'm still very much trying to get used to.

There were a number of Southeastern bands in the second half of the 80's that I thought were really going to make it big. I thought the Pressure Boys and Flat Duo Jets deserved it but never really thought they'd hit. Fetchin' Bones, Drivin' n Cryin' and the Connells all came within sniffing distance and were better than an awful lot of other music out there but never really had the sales to put them over the top. But the band that I think really should have not only survived but become stars was Atlanta's Guadalcanal Diary. I sometimes forget how damn brilliant they were but a listen to Litany or I Wish I'd Killed John Wayne serve to set me straight. And watching itty-bitty Rhett Crowe stand up to Billy "The Horse" Johnson at the Cradle about 20 years ago when he wanted them onstage (it was at least midnight) and they weren't ready remains one of my favorite rock moments (The Horse is an ex-UNC fullback and wasn't all that ex at the time - big guy).

Most of their catalog is out of print but Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man and Jamboree was recently rereleased as a single CD and is well worth the money if you don't have the vinyl.



2 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger tmay245 said...

TBones Top 10 for a Thursday:
Readymade - Chili Peppers
Get Outta My Life - Rebel Meets Rebel
Spoonman - Soundgarden
Know Your Enemy - Rage
Hammerdown - Sissorfight
Scorponica - Orange Goblin
Sure Shot - Beastie Boys
Heaven & Hot Rods - STP
N.O. - Kyuss
Innocent - Goatsnake

Rock On Brother

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger mapgirl said...

I wish I had more time / mental energy to comment, but just let me say, I LOVE THE HOODOO GURUS.

m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home