Thursday, September 04, 2008

Maverick, Schmaverick

It looks to me like the rabid right-wingers have accomplished something that the North Vietnamese could not - they've apparently broken John McCain. As became more and more obvious throughout the primaries, he's backed away from almost all of the positions that won him the "maverick" label, he's backed off his VP preference (Joe-Mentum) and instead picked an unvetted nobody to placate the wingnuts, he's bragged about voting with the most unpopular President since Andrew Johnson over 90% of the time, he's mentioned his history as a POW more often that Rudy G mentions "9/11" and now he's hired one of the very sleazoids that slimed him in the South Carolina primary in 2000 in his run against W. Hey, I guess the good thing is that Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh are talking nice about him now, but I don't see that playing well with the independent voters that he used to appeal to. Unless they're not paying attention.

And this year I think they will pay attention.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Blogger Special K said...

Funny! They will agree with me unless they are not listening. How arrogant.

Go ahead and keep the blinders on the right side of you head. You are missing half of the world. It does entertain me.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

Or you could read what I said, which is that the independent voters that have found McCain's maverickosity appealing will be turned off by the fact that he's "realigned" his position (wingers call that a flip-flop when the other side does it) to match party orthodoxy. In other words he's no longer a maverick. Which they will understand if they pay attention to his new stated positions. You throw the word arrogant around a lot - I think arrogant is fucking the country for eight years and expecting us to take it for another four. And like it.

What blinders? I actually listen to Sean Hannity and Mark Levin and Rush Limbaugh and read Michelle Malkin (I can't stomach Coulter even enough to do oppo research). They're some of the nastiest, snarkiest, lyingest, most hateful excuses for human beings I've ever encountered. I've read the positions of Tom DeLay and Bill Frist and Maverick and Mittens and Huckleberry and Newt Gingrich and others. I've actually listened to both sides so what do you think I'm missing, SK?

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Special K said...

Damn Tony. Looks like independent voters are suddenly not paying attention.

MSNBC (9/8/08)
"McCain moves ahead of Obama in new poll"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26604717/

Or maybe they are? It doesn't make them right, of course.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

I try not to underestimate the ability of the American public to make silly decisions. And I try not to overestimate the value of polls this far before an election. I know it feels like this has been going on forever, but I think a lot of people have been annoyed by the constant coverage but really haven't thought too much about the choice itself (I know that's hard for people like you and I to fathom, but I get that impression talking to folks at work). It's been evident from the beginning that this will go down to the wire and I'll be surprised if either candidate gets 51% of the vote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home