Saturday, December 31, 2005

At the Closing of the Year

Okay, so that last post was pretty angry and not the way I want to end my blogging year! And while 2005 certainly isn't going to go down in anyone's book as a real gem, given disasters both natural and man-made, personally there were certainly high points.

First and foremost, I'm still gainfully employed despite our company's losing the account I've spent most of my time on. That's a hell of a good thing and a good sign that my skillz are respected enough that they're interested in keeping me around. I also enjoyed the number of opportunities I had to show and get some good feedback on my photography and some good leads on more places to show in the coming year.

No Carolina basketball fan could be disappointed in this year, both through the incredible run to the national championship and the spirit and hustle and raw talent that the new kids have shown so far in this early season. Last year was something special and this fall is a good indication that it's just the beginning of many more good things.

While it's the outgrowth of evil, greedy, power-hungry bastards, it's been good to see that some of that evilosity is now being recognized and the power of the far right seems to be waning at least a little. This can only be a good thing.

Most of all, I can't complain about a year with the continued health and well-being of family and friends. Sure, the end if the year has been a bummer with various colds and flus and such, but things could have been much, much worse (JennySlash might argue with me since she's had a fever for over two weeks now). It's been great to see my best friend Lex get national attention for his far-seeing views and actions around journalism and blogging. I've enjoyed immensely continuing to read and exchange ideas (and occasional jabs) with blogger pals like jw, anonymoses and mapgirl (who is sadly shutting down her blog for now) and new-found reads like Marie's essential Blue Ridge Blog and cindy lee's news from my beloved Outer Banks and old high-school mate Special K and some of my mates from work.

So to all of you, thanks for reading this year - I've enjoyed your comments both published and personal and I appreciate the forum to get some of this stuff off my chest. I'm ready to lighten up a bit and get some yucks through the dark months of winter and I wish you all the very best in 2006!

4 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger jw said...

I've made a few resolutions in addition to the perennial diet and exercise ones, that include trying to improve my blogging. We have developed quite a community of bloggers around here and I very much enjoy both reading and writing blogs. First thing is to get an MLA stylebook. I GOTTA figure out commas.

Happy New Year to you and Jenny/ and thank you both for the wonderful stories and insights. May 2006 be kind to us all.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger mapgirl said...

Tony and JennySlash -- the gift of friendship (even a virtual one) is great year after year.

Wishing you a tremendous 2006 in every way,
m.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Cindy Lee said...

Best of luck in 2006. Look for good and you will find it

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hope to see you and Jenny this year, and that y'all have a great year. I hear there is a podcast conference up there soon. You going? Have I missed it? I have been so swamped it's hard to keep up...

All the best,
Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home