Friday, September 29, 2006

Rusted-out '64 Rambler with an AM radio

As you've no doubt surmised if you've read the blog lately, my new gig is requiring the occasional overnight jaunt up to DC. Since it is ridiculously expensive to fly from here to National (I refuse to call it Ronald Reagan Airport) and flying into BWI would take as much time as driving, I've been driving a rental car. That's relatively convenient - it's cheaper than being reimbursed for driving my own and it saves wear and tear on a vehicle that I've finally paid for (yay!). And there's an off-airport rental car agency right across the street!

The first car a few weeks ago was sweet! 2007 Nissan Maxima, fully tricked out, less than 100 miles on it - a real pleasure to drive!

The next trip was a more basic rental car - a plain-Jane 2006 Ford Taurus with about 17K miles on it. Oddly enough it had a cassette player instead of a CD (when's the last time you saw that!?) and no frills, but it got the job done and I was no worse for wear.

This last trip, I think they had the cute blond take care of my rental agreement and walk-around to distract me from the fact that they were putting me in a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 34K miles on it and an interior that smelled of smoke. At least it had a CD player but it also had a nasty stiff ride and the "MAINT REQD" light came on on the way back through the torrential thunderstorms and would not go off. The "seatbelt unfastened" alarm also went off from time to time for no good reason and this is no little chime - it was a freaking klaxon that increased in frequency and volume for a full two minutes before finally shutting off.

I figure my next trip will be in a 2004 Honda Civic with over 50,000 miles and bald tires. If this keeps up, I'll be driving a clapped-out Renault LeCar on its second engine with an in-dash 8-track player...

...that won't work right.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Cindy Lee said...

thats a funny one. might as well laugh what else can ya do?

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

Complain, actually! :-D Our admin (ooh, it's weird saying that I have an admin for the first time ever, even though she helps a bunch of us) called 'em up and gave 'em what-for, especially about the maintenance light staying on. I'd probably have never done that myself but it was the right thing to do (and maybe I'll score a convertible Mustang or something next time to make up for it!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home