Sunday, October 01, 2006

It's Fall!




It actually felt like fall this weekend as we made a quick trip up to the mountains to visit the 'rents. Dad took us out to dinner in Spruce Pine to Foxfire (his home away from home) on Saturday night and owner/chef Robin outdid herself with the best German chocolate cake I've ever had. That was followed up by brunch at the Toe River Lodge up in Plumtree - first time J and I had ever been and it was quite the treat! The family that runs it are some of the nicest, friendliest folks you'll ever meet and the food was outstanding. I believe the restaurant is only open for another couple of weeks before they close for the season (except for what sounds like the world's greatest Thanksgiving dinner - better make your reservations NOW!) but we'll definitely want to go back next spring. Stopped off in Blowing Rock for a walkabout as usual on the way home - there are few days in one's life that are as pretty as this one!

Photo 1: Idyllic scene near the Toe River Lodge on 19A
Photo 2: Unnamed (I'm guessing) little falls on US 221 near Grandfather Mountain
Photo 3: Don't tell this maple in Blowing Rock that the trees are changing color for another couple of weeks...

3 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Cindy Lee said...

I just got back from the mountains and the Maples are beautiful. The cooler weather predicted for the next week should convince the other trees that it is time to change also.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

I look at your pictures of the Banks on your blog and read about how you can't wait to move up to the mts and think I'm exactly the opposite. Then I take a weekend up around the Parkway and think "Nah, Cindy Lee's got a pretty good idea!"

Then I realize that I'm just blessed to be living in North Carolina where I don't have to decide between the two! :-D

 
At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

living smack dab in the middle of the state is a blessing for you also. only a few hours from Mt to coast.

Cindy Lee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home