Wednesday, March 05, 2008

English Beat at the Cat's Cradle

I first saw the English Beat in 1983 in Memorial Hall in Chapel Hill with this little band from Athens, GA called REM opening for them. Both bands were pretty damn good.

A couple of years ago, I was able to catch them (them? really Dave Wakeling and a bunch of kids) at the Cat's Cradle and they put on a great show. So I was quite looking forward to the show tonight and was certainly not disappointed. Despite the oddly bad sound (the sound at the Cradle is usually stellar) the show was great - I love seeing the balding and gray-haired and hennaed 50-somethings partying with the 20-year-olds skanking down in the pit. Despite having a bad mike night (and apparently a bad monitor night) Dave just seems to be having a great time out on the road with a bunch of guys that weren't even born when "Wha'ppen?" was released. If you get a chance to see them, I highly recommend it.

There was a funny thing - when the Cradle first posted the date, they posted a link to the "new" English Beat with Ranking Roger - have no idea if they're any good but it just reminded me of "The Drifters" and "The New Drifters" and "The Original Drifters" and "The New Original Drifters" and "The Real Original Drifters" etc. etc...

I tried out the new Canon SD870 at the show - I'll hopefully have "Tears of a Clown" uploaded to YouTube tomorrow...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home