Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sleep - Trying to Remember What It's Like

Got my CPAP machine delivered Thursday and tried it for the first time that night. Unfortunately, the anxiety that woke me up during the test at the sleep clinic returned, and every time I'd start to fall asleep, I'd start to panic. It either felt like I wasn't getting any oxygen in or that I wasn't able to exhale properly. I suppose that's a form of claustrophobia - I wouldn't know as I've never had any problems like that before. I do know that if anyone even threatened me with waterboarding that I'd sing like a canary. I think it's safe to say that this has been the ONLY time I've ever had this kind of anxiety attack, at least that I remember. I finally gave up after an hour and decided rather than force it, I'd just go to sleep and try again the next night. It's not all bad - from reading some of the boards and some online med documents, it sounds like mine is a common enough reaction and there are certainly people that take two or three weeks to adjust. I'm more than willing to be patient given the upside I'm expecting.

[Update] Friday night was some better. I managed to keep the mask on for almost 4 hours, although I don't think I slept more than an hour and a half of that time. It wasn't so much anxiety last night as it was just thinking about the machine and paying too much attention to my breathing. Still... progress.


Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Lex Alexander said...

Hang in there. It gets easier.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Special K said...

That sounds rough. Not sleeping sucks. Best of luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home