Sunday, May 13, 2007

My Momma

Great big happy Mother's Day to me mum!! As I was watching the UNC graduates and their parents in town today, I thought more than anything about the love of learning and the love of reading in me that Mom was primarily responsible for. From as early an age as I can remember, she made sure that she took the time to read to me and my sister every single day. She also introduced us to one of the miracles of civilization - the public library. I've never been prouder than when I was able to trade in my kid's library card for an adult card at the old East branch of the Nashville Public Library (which looked like a library is supposed to look, by golly - stone and imposing). It was due to Mom's influence that I never went through that "hating school" phase that almost all kids go through - she loved school and there was no reason that I shouldn't either. It was never a chore - it was a privilege (one that I still miss).

So thanks, Mom, for all those afternoons reading stuff to us that must have been awfully boring the 12th time through - it paid off!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home