Tuesday, October 14, 2008

KDH Day Four - Tony Thinks He Just Turned 24

Getting out was hard enough

Coming in was an adventure!

That most often ended in a wipeout

(all these pictures are of course by JennySlash)


So I finally rented the kayak on Wednesday - it was warmer but the waves were still a lot higher than I realized. With the rental place right across the street, I just walked over and picked one up. And then walked across the street and immediately dropped it on my big toe. Ouch!

I managed to get beyond the breakers on my first try and spent a little bit just paddling parallel to the beach down towards the pier and back before deciding to ride a wave back in. I actually managed to get a fantastic ride in my first try and from then I was hooked. The waves did get a bit bigger though and it got harder to get past them as the afternoon went on - I'd either get dumped going out or I'd get dumped immediately when I tried to ride one back in. No matter, I was still having a great time, despite the bumps and bruises from having waves smash me in the shins and the head repeatedly with a 60 pound kayak. What wasn't cool but still didn't kill the buzz was when a wave smashed me in the back of the head, dumped me off the kayak and grabbed my prescription Wayfarers off my face and threw them into the deep. Of course as I told J, if I hadn't been willing to lost them, I wouldn't have worn them into the water - I need a new prescription and the frames were getting a bit worse for wear.

After a few hours of this, I finally relented and dropped the boat off across the street and limped on through the rest of the day. We went out to pick up a few things and then hit Flying Fish for dinner for yet another terrific meal. I'll admit that I still miss Osprey Island Grill that preceded FF at that location, but the food was really good and we also got a $7 off coupon for Sunday brunch, which worked out well since we had to be out of the condo by 10am on Sunday.

Topped the night off by soaking my horribly battered bod in the hot tub for awhile before hitting the sack for some well-deserved Zzz's.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Cindy Lee said...

The Flying Fish is a nice little place. I love it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home