Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Live8

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I'm not sure I really "got" Live8. I mean hat's off to Sir Bob for caring enough to pull it off - I have enormous respect for his drive to end hunger in Africa and the energy he's willing to expend to make stuff like this happen. And I was bowled over by Live-Aid a few years ago and its relatively simple message - "Millions of people are starving. While we play music, send us some money!" By golly, it worked! I sent money, almost everyone I know sent money and some of it seems to have actually made it to where it was supposed to go. This seems to be a much tougher message - by showing up in Philadelphia to see/hear Will Smith and the Dave Matthews Band, that's somehow supposed to send a message that the G-8 countries should excuse undeveloped countrys' debt? I'm not sure I get it. Maybe everyone else will. I respect the message - and yeah, I know it smacks of imperialism and yeah, I know that actions by the G-8 alone won't do it (still have to do something about corrupt local governments and tribal warfare, etc. etc.) but it's a start. It's one of a number of things that can and must be done and I hope it really will have the intended affect.

Maybe I'm just cynical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home