Sunday, January 15, 2006

Going Mobile

I briefly had a post up last week about a business trip to Ottawa that I took down after a half hour or so for security reasons. In fact I left Tuesday and got back late Friday night (early Saturday morning to be accurate). I'm still not sure who thought it would be a good idea to schedule a meeting for Ottawa in January (I've been up there before in Jan/Feb and -25C is not unusual). As it happened, it was quite unseasonably warm - actually above freezing for much of the trip.

In past trips, I've always stayed at downtown hotels, despite usually having to drive out to the tech corridor for meetings. There's a lot to do within walking distance with By Ward Market, the Rideau Canal and Parliament Hill all within a mile of each other (J and I have seen the changing of the guards from our hotel room at the Westin before). But this time I stayed at the Brookstreet Resort out in Kanata, which turned out to be quite a nice place - beautiful room, nice restaurant, decent gym.

I have to have my tunes with me when I travel and the MP3 player I bought a couple of months ago takes care of most of that need admirably, but I still need CDs for the rental car and I'm always afraid I'll leave one in there when checking the car back in. I don't know why it's taken me this long to think of just burning one specifically for the trip and just leaving it with the car. Just did one for this trip, starting with The Police' Driven to Tears and finishing up with The Who's Going Mobile. Hope whoever cleans out the car gets some enjoyment after it.

Anyway, it's good to be home!

3 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a neat idea! I do that with paperbacks when I travel--load up at the Friends of the Library Bookstore for 25 cents a pop, and leave a trail of them across the country. But I'd never thought to do it with music. How evangelistic!

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, that was me.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

I do what I can! :-)

I did this one in a hurry - nothing particularly obscure in the mix, other than maybe the Push Stars' cover of Steely Dan's 'Bad Sneakers'. And I doubt the Canadians will understand the delicious sarcasm in Emmet Swimming's 'Arlington'. Next time I'll embed a text file with the track listing at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home