Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Out of the Fridge - Mendocino Brewing Co Edition

I haven't blogged much about beer since the NC state legislature finally raised the alcohol limit. I tried a couple of higher alcohol doppels right after they were available and was under-impressed so I didn't think too much more about it until the Teeter started carrying Mendocino Brewing Co. beers. I noticed them first for the labels - gorgeous artwork of hawks and great blue herons - and second for the discounted price. So I picked up the Blue Heron Pale Ale and I've been drinking it pretty reguarly, despite later seeing a lot of negative reviews. It is VERY hoppy so if you're not prepared for that, you may not care for it (I like the bitter myself). I've also been drinking the White Hawk Select IPA, which clocks in at 7.0% ABV and is one of the best IPAs I've had (and I am an IPA fanatic). The Red Tail Ale is pretty good too. I haven't tried the Eye of the Hawk Select Ale (8% ABV) or the Black Hawk Stout yet but I undoubtedly will.

Speaking of IPAs, if you can't find the Mendocino brews, I'd recommend Flying Dog Brewery's Snake Dog IPA (another great label - this one by Ralph Steadman) - not as bitter as the Mendocino quaff but quite good. The daddy is still the Davie Poplar IPA at Top of the Hill in Chapel Hill. Yum-my!

By the way, does anyone know why most of the brewery websites I've pulled up ask you to confirm that you're of drinking age before entering the site?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home