Sunday, February 05, 2006

"Blog on the Run" No More

My best bud Lex, the guy that got me started into blogging, has shut down Blog on the Run after, what, 3 years? If you need your Lex fix, he's still professionally blogging at The Lex Files on the Greensboro News and Record website, but it ain't the same. I'll miss his writing as a reasonable Republican - one that I don't always agree with but that I can at least be sure has thought through his position. But I think I can understand - Lex's blog was high-profile enough that it attracted a number of commenters that were trying at best and downright threatening at their worst. I'm not saying that's why Lex quit - I haven't had a chance to ask him yet - but I would think that kind of constant personal attack would take its toll and certainly detract from the fun factor of blogging. 'Cuz for all but a very, very few of us, fun is the only reason to do it.

Dude, get some rest, catch up on other things, and think about getting back online one way or another. We'll miss you in the meantime, but I have no doubt that you'll catch the next wave before the rest of us and show us the way.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger jw said...

All weekend I got, "not available," messages and figured it was a technology problem. When I checked in at work I got his statement. I am so disappointed.

I too started blogging because of Lex. I loved the way he was able to mix cultural, political, and social commentary with stories about the kids. He had just the right mix. I don't see him as backing away because of comments. First of all, he's smarter than anyone I know (remember I work with 36 people with PhDs) and can take on anyone.

I haven't talked to him. Nor will I. If he wants to talk about it, he'll tell me. If I had to guess, I would say he's just finding it takes too much time. Time away from kids. Time away from work. Maybe he's one of those who has his priorities straight. He's not going to do it half-assed. If he can't do it perfectly, he won't do it at all.

We were friends before blogs, we'll be friends after. But, I'll miss BOTR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home