Friday, February 03, 2006

The Devil's Music

'Faust' Opera Video Stirs Angry Parents
(AP) BENNETT, Colo. - Some parents in this prairie town are angry with an elementary school music teacher for showing pupils a video about the opera "Faust," whose title character sells his soul to the devil in exchange for being young again.

"Any adult with common sense would not think that video was appropriate for a young person to see. I'm not sure it's appropriate for a high school student," Robby Warner said after two of her children saw the video.

Another parent, Casey Goodwin, said, "I think it glorifies Satan in some way."

Frankly, she should have been fired for introducing elementary kids to opera. /* shudder */

3 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sure. Just like that Paradise Lost thing.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Cindy Lee said...

We are raising a bunch of politically correct non-thinkers in this country. If the kids can watch TV and play video games they can listen to opera. By the way my mom would not let me buy Jesus Christ Superstar until one of the nuns at the school I was going to played it for us in religion class. Parents over react to things they don’t understand.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

Funny you should mention JCS - I played the lead when we did it in Lilburn Middle School in Gwinnett County, Ga, at a time when it was just becoming an Atlanta white-flight destination (early-mid 70's). There were some questions about us doing it, but on the whole it was pretty well accepted (or we were well-shielded from any controversy). I recall that my fundie aunt had some heartburn, but even that not as much as you might think (I did have to explain to a couple of people that Judas singing I Don't Know How to Love Him was not homoerotic!).

I'm not sure what kind of reaction it would get today (other than "my, how dated!").

 

Post a Comment

<< Home