Friday, October 13, 2006

Go Big I!

Heighdy-heighdy-heighdy-ho!
Heighdy-heighdy-heighdy-ho!

Wiggledy-waggledy-wiggledy-wo!
Wiggledy-waggledy-wiggledy-wo!

Lift your heads up to the sky!
Lift your heads up to the sky!

Patriots are passing by!
Patriots are passing by!

We are here to let you know!
We are here to let you know!

East Meck Eagles got to go!
East Meck Eagles got to go!

Go! Go! Go! Go!

The mighty Patriots of Independence High School go for consecutive win number 100 tonight against arch-rivals East Mecklenburg (at least they were our arch-rivals when I was there 28 years ago).

By the way, lest you think that our cheerleaders were lame (well, lamer than cheerleaders in general), the above was the band (most often the inebriated band) cheer, the lead part passed down from class to class until me and my buddy Chuck F shared that responsibility in our senior year.

When we went 2-8.

My how times have changed...

6 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw your post in Gnumoon's blog. I lived two neighborhoods away from Ric Flair when he was on Farm Pond Lane and I graduated from Independence.

Small World indeed.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

At least it's a small Internet! :-D Good to hear from you!

While I was in high school (76-78) we actually lived in the apartments on Farm Pond Lane on the other side of Albemarle Road. My sister was class of 80, a couple of years behind me. I'm guessing your tenure at Independence dates from more like the post-Mark Maye era?

Ken Patera lived down the road from us - one of his sons was in my sister's class. I admired him a lot more as an Olympic weightlifter than I did as a wrestler... ;-)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Tony Plutonium said...

54-22! 2/3 of the way to the record!

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I graduated in '79. We were 3-27 during my time at the "Big I". I had friends that lived on the other side of Albemarle Road on Farm Pond and my sister was a life guard at that pool for a number of years in the mid 70's.

My sister in law (Becky McIlroy) was in your class.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kel's school was winless during her tenure, but the band was legendary for bringing in the crowds.

When the team took the field, the band would play the theme from "The Muppet Show."

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Marie said...

...and then she says:
'Crap, I should have read the previous comments before posting." Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home