Wednesday, July 06, 2005

On the Small Screen - Cheap DVDs Edition

With the last couple of weeks I've had, one of the best coping mechanisms for me (well, other than that) is a bunch of beer and some goofy comedies in order to induce complete brain shutdown. Luckily Wal-Mart was more than ready to oblige. Checked the $5.50 DVD bin and.... score!! Top Secret! (featuring Val Kilmer and the hit Skeet Surfin'), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie that Joss Whedon wishes would go away), Hot Shots! Part Deux (another movie with an exclamation point in the title) and Earth Girls Are Easy (featuring Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum before they both started looking like the scary pictures in eating-disorder public service announcements). Yes, I'm a sucker for the goofball stuff. Also picked up High Fidelity but it doesn't count as it a) is a much better movie, b) cost a couple bucks more and c) actually makes you keep your brain engaged, so I'm holding off on watching it until I don't need the cheese quite as much.

If I run through those and I'm still thinking too much, I'll grab the Roger Corman collection and slap in The Creature from the Haunted Sea, one of the funniest movies I've ever seen (some of it was even intentionally funny!). What I didn't know until playing around with IMDB is that the goofball playing the lead was Robert Towne, who went on to write for "The Outer Limits" and "The Man from U. N. C. L. E." before writing movies like Chinatown and The Two Jakes and, not unlike the aforementioned Joss Whedon, developing a reputation as one of the best script doctors in the business for this work on The Godfather and Bonnie and Clyde (ah, the things one can learn from the Internets!). The movie is well worth your time - it's early Corman at his cheesy best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home