Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sweet Tooth

Despite having inherited a horrible sweet tooth from my mother, I'm actually pretty good about candy. I realized tonight that there's a Cadbury egg in the fridge left over from Easter... of 2005. We've got Christmas candy in a dish in the living room that is at least two years old. I've got some chocolate-covered cherries and other fruit from A Southern Season that I got for myself while Christmas shopping last year - still a few left.

So why can I not restrain myself when it comes to candy corn? Every year I pick up some corn as soon as it comes out, usually along with either a whole bag of candy punkins or an "autumn mix" which includes candy corn, punkins and "Indian" corn ("we call it 'maize'" - the difference being that instead of white-orange-yellow, it's white-orange-brown). And once purchased, I cannot stop eating that stuff! I'll be pretty good about not opening the bag, but once it's opened, that's all she wrote. So this year, since I'm in an office again, I picked up a decorative plastic Halloween bowl and took it and the large bag of candy corn to work, figuring that my office mates would eat it. That has worked to some extent - my boss in particular is a fan and has wandered in a couple of times to grab a handful. The problem though is that every time he does that, I have to grab a handful too (I don't know why, I just do - okay?) and that turns into two or three handfuls. The other problem is that now I think my boss expects it, so I'll be purchasing more of the evil seeds between now and Halloween. Ack.

I had to just stop buying ice cream to take home. I cannot resist its cold creamy charms. The only time I ever bring it home is when I'm sick - it's my special little treat to myself. But I got smart this evening - I went for the lime sherbert instead. The whole damn tub is only 800 calories (as opposed to the 47,923 calories in a pint of Ben and Jerry's) so restraint is not called for this time. And I know it's spelled s-h-e-r-b-e-t but I grew up calling it sherbert so sherbert it is, dammit!

JennySlash overheard someone this weekend trying to describe the flavor of candy corn to someone (obviously from another planet) that had never had it. The best she could come up with was "it tastes like candy corn". She's right - candy corn tastes like nothing else. Now let's hear her try to describe the taste of Peeps.

3 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!

I loves me some candy corn.
And sherbert. mmmm.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peeps?

Tastes like chicken...

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Cindy Lee said...

mmmmmm candy corn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home