Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Christmas Goodies

We usually leave our Christmas haul out for a couple of weeks before we start using it but I've already put the DVD Recorder that we got from Dad to good use. It's replaced the VCR and while it doesn't have the time-phasing ability of Tivo, it does produce a DVD that I can then watch on my laptop while on the road or on my computers in my home office (great for Carolina basketball games that I can't see real time). I record stuff like "My Name is Earl" in -RW so I can watch it later and reuse the disk and I'll put "24" and other things I want to keep on -R discs (cheap!). I know people love their Tivos but I'm pretty happy with this baby.

With the gift certificate from Mom, I picked up the last (I promise!!) 80's music comp I'll ever buy - the 4-disc Left of the Dial: Dispatches from the '80's Underground from Rhino Records. Sure I've already got a lot of the stuff that is on there, but it would have been almost worth it for just Mission of Burma's That's When I Reach for My Revolver (man, I love that song!). Sort of like listening to 4 hours of WXYC back when they played stuff that was recognizable as rock and roll.

J got me a nifty stereo for my office which I brought in yesterday but the creme de la creme was a couple of books that are no longer in print that I got from J/Santa - From Bauhaus to Our House by Tom Wolfe, which I expect to thoroughly enjoy and mostly disagree with, and How to Care for Your Monster which was one of the last books I ordered from Scholastic when I was a kid. I saw a young women reading it to her kid while waiting for a plane in Ottawa last winter and I've been missing my copy since then. Sweet haul!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home